Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Chicken Liver

Imagine not liking something and then having it forced upon you. Like Chicken Liver. You don't like it and it is everywhere. Regardless of where you turn, somebody is trying to get you to eat it or accept it, or "just try it".

I don't discuss chicken livers very much. I don't like Chicken Livers. Even the smell of cooked chicken livers can make me feel like I am going to spit up. If I am at a party and they serve chicken livers, I don't say anything, I just pass them up. In general, we keep our distance and this seems to work well for me and the chicken liver. Still, somebody always wants me to try them.

Just because I don't like Chicken Livers doesn't mean I carry on about them. I rarely mention chicken liver and this is the only time I have ever written about them. For me, Chicken Liver is like God.

I know you think I am crazy, but think this through with me. I think God is a myth. It's a carry over from primitive human development. The old Sun God thing reworked into the invisible man in the sky idea. Clearly, if there were a real god he would not hide out. You would be able to prove his existence just like you can prove a chicken has a liver.

Like Chicken Liver, somebody always seems to be pushing to get me to try god. Over the last 50 years it has been exhausting. Recently, as a result of these increased incidents, I have become outspoken. Not that I was ever very shy, but I used to handle god like chicken liver. I would just pass or make an excuse. Anything to be polite and avoid the stigma of being an ATHEIST.

Eight years ago, my boss took me to lunch and asked about my relationship with Jesus. This is 100% true. He came by my office and said, "do you wanna get some lunch?" I said OK and off we went. We were talking and he stopped in the middle of a bite. He told me he wanted to speak with me about something important. Then he said, "Tell me about your relationship with our lord jesus christ." I almost gagged. I looked him in the eye and said, " I'm Irish and was raised catholic. We believe in drinking to solve our problems." He did not say another word. 60 days later I quit.

Last October we moved into our new condo. In December our new neighbors stopped by to introduce themselves. They didn't have curtains on their windows when they moved in and we could see their life size christ on the cross hanging in their dining room. I was polite. We did see Ray looking at my copy of American Atheist magazine like he had just seen the devil. Since then we see them about once a week, going in or out. Ray always tell us, "We are going to church." Or, he will say, "We just got back from church." It seems like they go to church really far to much.

Is it necessary to express our beliefs publicly? Do I need to say, "I don't like chicken livers?" Why do people who believe god myths insist upon pushing their views on to others? Ray seems to be warming up to a discussion with me regarding his faith. I can hardly wait. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

No comments: