Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WORK.....................update

I think you know I was "laid off" at the end of January. I have been looking for a new job and wanted to send out an update.

I was offered four new jobs and I accepted them all.

I decided back in 2002, when I was 55, to shift my career to a job I could do for the long term. Pam is much younger and working. I have no real hobbies other than Pam and Jack. So I decided I needed a long term job that I can do for another 15 years. I have managed a large staff and helped to build businesses. I have nothing to prove with my career and I'm not concerned about my title or ego. I'm really only working for the money. Period.

Pam earns more than enough for our family. But, we need to plan for Pam's retirement and Jack's college. I also have continued expenses with Meredith and Colleen in college. My plan has worked for the past 7 years. I have sold seafood over the phone and it's been easy. But, long story short, I need to work for 4 to 8 more years. The recent lay off gave me a chance to improve my situation. My GOAL is to work from my Home Office and sell customers over the phone.

I searched all of February to find jobs working from home. I found three selling meat or seafood as an "independent contractor." These are jobs in which the company will pay me a small base salary to set up and run my Home Office. Then they pay commission on the sales I make to customers. The three jobs I found do not conflict with each other and if all goes as planned I will begin next week.

The problem with these jobs is they could stop at any point. The economy is not helping seafood sales. All of these companies are trying to expand cheaply by hiring people like me. If my sales are good, I will continue. If not...back to the search.

At the same time, I was offered a great job working for a really good company. But it is in Vernon, CA. This is downtown LA. The people are great, they are well financed, been in business for 60 years. They like me and I respect them. Did I tell you the job is in Vernon? That's 35 miles each way. Not part of the Home Office plan.

So I accepted this job and agreed to start on April 6. I will try working from Home for two weeks for the three companies and if that fails, I will drive to Vernon. The next two weeks will be a "TEST PERIOD" to see how this will work out. If it goes well, I will keep at it from Home. If it fails or it is just too stupid, I will get up at 5:30 and drive to Vernon five days a week.

The good news, I have a job. Details will follow.

1 comment:

Amy Carroll said...

Congrats! Look forward to hearing how the jobs work out. I hope the home office situation works for you.