Wednesday, May 27, 2009

IT'S ABOUT EQUALITY

I have been busy. I hate to say I have been preoccupied with starting our Food Brokerage Co. [Betterbox Sales & Marketing] and I have not been Blogging or reading the on-line news. I will Blog about Betterbox later and give you the web site info.

I was blown away yesterday by the California Supreme Court decision to uphold Prop 8. We call it Prop H8 because it supports unequal treatment for some California Citizens.

This is clearly and most importantly an equal rights issue. Many people try to make it about sexual preference. It is not. Others try to make it about religion. This is not a religious issue. Simply stated, it is an issue about the government [California] treating one group of citizens differently than they treat others.

If this were Blacks, being told they could not marry, there would be moral outrage. If women or Hispanics were treated differently, they would be upset. Prior to the 1950's Blacks were told they could not marry whites. Prior to 1920, Women could not vote. All this has changed and Prop 8 will not stand. The rule of law is really simple in this case. Everyone should be treated the same.

I am not a liberal or progressive in the current use of the jargon. I believe in strict interpretation of the Constitution. I have always voted Republican, even when I was sad about the candidate. As such I think everyone should be treated the same. This means men, women, blacks, Asians, and people we don't like for any silly reason.

It is wrong for government to withhold service to one group of citizens and I am going to work to get this Prop 8 law changed. I am asking everyone I know to help change California law so anyone can marry the person they love. Please join me by signing up at: http://www.eqca.org/site/pp.asp?c=kuLRJ9MRKrH&b=4026385

No comments: