Monday, July 13, 2009

The Onion

It was an interview. My Plan to find new salespeople in Central Illinois had turned up a few prospects. One was a waitress / hostess in Champaign who also happened to be from Belleville.

I was to meet Bob Splan at a Restaurant in Champaign, called the Bermuda Onion. It was a nice day, July 13, in St Louis and I drove to Champaign with the top down. I wore shorts. What the heck, it wasn't me being interviewed....or was it?

Bob and I met and briefly talked waiting for the candidate to show up. She did, limping with a broken toe. We explained the position, selling food to restaurants. She had worked as a waitress and understood the business. But then, somewhere around discussing sales goals, the conversation took a hard left and went off road.

We began to discuss music and the upcoming Grateful Dead Concert in St Louis. No I wasn't going. My favorite band was the Gin Blossoms. Then she said, they played in Urbana and she saw them and like lighting, I was struck. Blam. It all began to flow, so easy and so similar. We really did have a lot in common. She had Linda Emigg for her teacher at Wolf Branch. This was the beginning of my life with Pam.

It was today. Fifteen years ago and a million miles away in Urbana, Illinois. The rest has been history and wonderful. I love you Pam, more today then ever. Thanks for 15 wonderful years and for believing in me when nobody else did. Thanks for Jack and the Swiss Army watch.

"...if you don't expect too much from me you might not be let down."

No comments: