Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Betterbox Sales & Marketing UPDATE

It's almost Thanksgiving and I thought I would let you know how our Food Brokerage Business is going. I have been selling for six months as an Independent Sales Agent.

2009 has been a rough year for the Foodservice Business. Restaurants are all suffering, with the exception of burger and pizza places. Not many people are going out for a $40.00 steak dinner. Seafood has really been hurt by this economy. Most Americans only eat seafood when they go out to eat. Seafood sold at retail is limited to cheaper selection and in some cases, deceptive labeling.

Our business has been good. Given the economy and condition of the restaurant industry, business has been great. I currently represent four lines of seafood products. These include shrimp, crab and misc items from China. November is a very slow seafood month. Most people are focused on Turkey or Ham. Regardless, the Holiday party season is coming and Shrimp is a must have for the Holidays.

The important thing I have learned in the last six months is this: I should have been selling as a Broker for the last ten years. Back when I left Stolt Seafarm I considered my own business but took a job instead. No matter how this all turns out, I prefer working for myself and working from my home office.

I will let you know how things are going in May when we get a year into this business. Eat more shrimp!

No comments: