Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dear Dad,

Happy Memorial Day. I know how you always felt about Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Veteran's Day. They all made "your ass hurt." You used to tell me there were two kinds of soldiers, Parade Soldiers and Killers. I understood that you did not like Parades.

I been reading a book that reminds me of you: SHIT MY DAD SAYS. It is so funny to read the crazy stuff Dad's tell their kids. I laughed my ass off thinking of the things you used to say. I only wish I had wrote them all down.

Anyway, Thanks. Thanks for fighting in World War II. Thanks for landing on Okinawa. I still have the sword. Thanks for spying on the Russians when we lived in Alaska and Germany. I think you made a difference. Neither the Japanese or the Russians ever invaded. Thanks for trying to get me into Air Force Flight school. Sorry I was color blind. I have the flag that covered your coffin. That was a real sad day for me. I still miss you.

I tell Jack all about you. We come visit when we are in Saint Louis. Thanks again for all those Breakfasts you cooked, the times you walked me to school, the tree house we built, the 22 rifle, and the time you took me to the doctor. I guess it wasn't a urinary tract infection....but you never brought it up. I love you Dad, and I'm working hard to be as good as the example you set.

Michael

No comments: