Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Leaking out


For as long as I can remember I have pissed people off. They always seem to like me at first. I tend to make a good first impression. But, over time things change. I've thought about it and I know the reason. It is because of me. I have two critical personality flaws. I over estimate potential and I have no regard for things I can't respect.

I am a horse's ass. Other people have called me much worse. I have high expectations and I think about things to the point of becoming obsessive. This often leads me to dissecting the people and events around me. I see people for their potential.  I often over estimate this potential and then become amazed that the people whom I respected, are in fact stupid. Once I turn the corner on this discovery, there is almost never a turning back. Here is an example. It might not be a good example but it will work to make my point: If you have a runny nose, you want a tissue. You look for a tissue and you are thrilled when you find it. You blow your nose. And, then the tissue is worthless. You discard it without a second thought. It is of no value to you. What was once thrilling to find has become worthless. This is my experience with most people and events in my life.

There are a few occasions where I am surprised. BMW and Apple products have never disappointed me. The Dry Cleaner we use on Kraemer has exceeded my expectation repeatedly. My wife, Pam, is much smarter and better at "managing" me than I ever expected. My parents and my childhood were nearly perfect, as far as I am concerned. Most of my children have turned out well and I am proud of them. But.... there are so many other things that have been a disappointment. I won't list them. It would take a while.

Sometimes, like today at the Day Care Center, I try hard not to be the pain in the ass person that nobody likes. The lady told me to wear paper booties over my shoes, "to keep the germs out of the play room." Really? Are you that stupid? Paper Booties stop germs? Brother, it is hard to go through a day without telling people how stupid they really are. I am trying to keep this all inside. If it leaks out once in a while, I am sorry.


No comments: