Monday, August 3, 2009

How long?

The recent arrest of Henry Louis Gates upset me. No, not because he was arrested or because of the Police Officer was white. What upset me was the reaction among Blacks in America. Including our President.

I want to jump ahead to the big question that nobody seems willing to ask: WHEN WILL BLACK AMERICA BE READY TO LET THE PAST GO AND MOVE ON?

My family never owned a slave. We were Irish and too poor to own shoes. My family came to America in the 1890s and struggled to survive. Our story is just as heart breaking as many others about poverty and family. My mother learned from her mother to hate the English. She told me Ireland had been at war with England for 400 years. When asked if she would like I drink, she would ask for that "Irish Whine." Then say, "We wish the English would go home." So, being Irish, I can understand how people would hold a grudge. Still, even the Irish seemed to have come to some peace with the Occupation.

Why after over 150 years and the end of slavery, with a Black President, are Blacks still "outraged"? Will there ever be a day when their issues won't be about being black? Can you see a day....off in the far distant future, when a white cop arrests a black professor and the media says....the guy was an asshole and deserved it?

How long must we listen to this "outrage"? Hasn't America, most of whom never did anything to a Black person, listened to this whining long enough? If Black America wants to be treated equal they only need to stop crying. Everyone else has a long sad history too. The Jews, no walk in the park. The Mexicans, we stole California and Texas. The Chinese, worked to death building the railroads, and the Irish....England still owns the Northern corner of our island.



No comments: