Wednesday, August 12, 2009

LIGHTNING BOLT

I have been wrong before. I repeatedly said the iPhone was a gimmick and that Obama could never be elected. Both turned out much better than I had expected. Now I want to discuss the Electric Car. Chevy's new Volt [aka "Dolt"] makes me wonder about collective intelligence. They have shown this car for over two years and keep telling us it is "coming". Coming when? And, who really cares?

Like the original iPhone, the Volt is just a gimmick. They said yesterday that it gets 230 miles per gallon. Ya, it's a plug in electric car. Tell us what it will do for your home electric bill. Here in Kalifornia, we have repeatedly had summer hot spells with rolling Black-Outs of electricity. Everywhere they are telling us to use less electricity by "Flexing our Power". Then the very next commercial is telling us to buy plug in electric cars? Huh? Do these tree hugging Green Peace Hippies talk to each other? The ones trying to cut electricity use need to tell the electric cars guys....there ain't no electricity to run air conditioners and dryers. Why would we add to the load the recharging of cars?

Everyone says the answer is wind energy. Out in Palm Springs they have miles of wind mills designed to generate electricity. I have never seen half of these things working at any one time. Are they shut off? Why are we "Flexing our Power" if they aren't even running all the wind mills now? I just don't understand how all this clean power and eco friendly future is going to work. I'm setting my air conditioner to 78 on hot days and they are telling me to buy electric cars?

Finally, let's say everyone does buy electric cars. I will be the very last person in line. How does this help the need for oil to fly airplanes and fuel trucks? Is some genius working on the plug in all electric airplanes?

No comments: