Tuesday, January 5, 2010

AT THE MOVIES

Over the recent Holidays I went to two movies.

I waited and read up on AVATAR. I went Opening Day to see the movie in 3D IMAX. The special effects were really good and in IMAX it is overpowering. Jack wanted to see AVATAR so I went a second time to see it with him. I liked AVATAR. My only concern was the thin story line and lack of complex character development. This movie won't win awards for writing.

Then, as a second thought, we went to see SHERLOCK HOLMES. Wow! This movie is all about the writing and the character. I have to admit I have been a Sherlock Holmes fan since I was a boy. Regardless, nothing you have seen or read previously adds up to the new movie by Guy Ritchie. In my view, Sherlock Holmes is better than Avatar in every possible way.

My guess is most of America will see Avatar and some will see Sherlock Holmes. Few will see both movies and be able to compare the set design, costumes and writing. For those who have seen other Guy Ritchie movies, [Snatch, Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels], this movie has the same quickness in dialogue and visual style with slow motion sequences designed to explain the critical moments. I loved it and really like the style that Guy Ritchie has developed.

Go see Sherlock Holmes. It is one of the best movies of 2009.

No comments: