Tuesday, November 23, 2010

OUR SUITCASE

It was 47 years ago today. We went to see a movie and suddenly the lights came on. A Captain walked out in front. He said, "The president has been shot in Dallas Texas. All Military personnel are to report for duty. We are on full alert. Dependents are restricted to housing."

Not a word was said. Everyone knew their job. I walked home to meet my parents. Dad had brought out "Our suitcase". He told me he had to report for duty and Mom was in Charge. Then he handed me the suitcase. We all knew this was bad. In the suitcase was $500 in cash, $500 in Deutsche Marks, our passports, medical records, other documents and a loaded 32 automatic hand gun. Dad said he would call us with more information, but we were prepared to drive to France. The East German border and Russian Tanks were just 40 kilometers away. We had often discussed with our German friends that nothing could stop the Russians if they wanted to invade Western Europe. Kennedy's assassination was seen by many as the first step in World War III.

In the hours that followed we waited and listened to AFN and the BBC. By morning Dad came home. The base returned to standby. We joined the world grieving for John Kennedy. It wasn't War. The Russian Tanks did not cross the Border.

That was the day I grew up. I was never a kid again after 11/22/63. Life became bigger and more real. Tonight I checked "Our Suitcase". Passports, $20,000 in gold, $5,000 in cash, and a loaded Sig 40. Dad taught me to be prepared.

No comments: