Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Comic Books, Blue Jeans, and Mom


Sometimes things are just what they appear. As a kid in grade school at Our Lady of Holy Bingo, I was repeatedly told two things by the "Nones" who taught me:
• Reading comic books was bad because it wasn't "Real Reading"
• Wearing Blue Jeans was bad because it "made" you a juvenile delinquent.

After 50 years of observation I call tell you today that reading is reading and all reading is good for you. Moreover, you can wear jeans to church and you will not be struck by lightning.

The shooting is Tucson has everyone out beating the drum for their own favorite cause. Many say this is a result of one or all of the following:
• Rush Limbaugh
• Republicrats
• Demopublicans
• TV
• Video Games
• Rap Music
• Skateboarding
• Gun sales

Again, I am 99% sure this tragic shooting is a result of a crazy kid who needed attention and did not get help sooner. If there is a lesson here, it is that when you think someone is crazy....they might be crazy. Don't talk about them. Do something to get them help. My mother, Saint Mary-Helen, used to tell me she "would rather go to jail for beating me to death with a broom handle than let me turn out badly." She was "engaged" in child development. She was a "hands on mother". Common fear of her disapproval was enough to keep me from shop lifting, smoking, and staying out after the street lights came on.

The shooting is Tucson is a result of not enough people stepping in to stop this crazy kid sooner. Blue Jeans and Comic Books had nothing to do with this.

No comments: