Friday, December 12, 2008

It seems like only YESTERDAY

It is that time of year. My Birthday is next Monday. I will be 61 years old. I still feel like I did when I was 15. I think your body ages but your self image reaches a high water mark and then you stay there inside your head for the rest of your life.

I've learned a lot over the last 60 plus years. All kinds of things have changed. There was no Internet or even computers when I was a kid. No cell phones. All this stuff has grown up with me through the 1950s, 60s, 70s and on.

People haven't really changed much. OK, maybe the people have changed but human nature has stayed about the same. As a teenager I was always disappointed on my Birthday. My expectations were always higher then the reality. Last year was about the worst. I was turning 60 and wanted my daughters to come visit. They passed. It still upsets me. Maybe this year will be different?

When you get to be this old you have to look ahead. How many more Birthdays do I have? My parents lived to be 80. They were not very good at staying healthy. I'm thinking I can live to be 85. That would be 2032. Jack would be 27 years old then. That sounds like a good goal. To live to be 85. I'll update this every year to see how close I come.



1 comment:

Pam May said...

Happy Birthday, Darling. Jack and I love you, and we hope you have a good day. At least it's finally raining in LA.

I will meet you for lunch, just like old times, and then we can "shelter in place" with the Little Boss and have birthday cake.

And don't foget what the Gin Blossoms always say...."If you don't expect too much...."