Monday, April 6, 2009

OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW

Well, I never thought I would change may mind but I bought an iPhone, and it is just great.

Back in the 1980s I was one of the first to own an Apple Computer. We had Macs and one of the first PowerBooks. Meredith and Colleen learned to use the computer on Mac. They were always way too expensive and fragile. I remember having out first Mac torn apart on the living room floor as I taught myself to replace the hard drive. I swore I would never go back to Apple after we got our first PC.

When the first iPhone came out, everyone waited in line. I thought SUCKERS. This phone will only break your heart with its promise of being great and then CRASH. Many of the original buyers were later disappointed when the new phones came out with twice the memory at cheaper prices. I laughed again at them for falling for the same old Apple marketing gimmicks. Then Colleen wanted the iPhone and I looked at them with her. They were cool but I was still 100% sure they were basic crap. Colleen's Mac Lap top crashed twice and so did Kimmy's. Again, I was sure Apple was a joke.

My phone, the Treo 750 was rock solid for three years. Once in while I had to reboot it and I lost all my files one time but overall it was great. Each day it got older and slower. I kept waiting for the "New PALM PRE" to go on sale. It was the phone of the future. They released the TREO 800 PRO which looked cool but was really just like my own Treo. About once a month Palm would send me an email about the NEW PALM PRE...coming soon.

Then Pam got a new Blackberry Curve. I started looking at Blackberry in a new light. The Blackberry Bold was very nice AND.............all the reports said it was almost as good as a..Holy Shit iPhone. What? Was I reading all this right? The Apple iPhone was the best phone around?

So, I got my last unemployment check in the mail. $475.00. Thanks again Arnold and Barrack. At the Bank, I passed the AT&T store and went in to look at the Blackberry Bold. Jason Yee, the sales guy was good. He asked me how I used my phone. I told him I used it as a hand-held mini-computer. He showed me how the Bold worked and how it did everything I wanted. I was ready to buy the Bold. Then I asked him about the iPhone. He took his out of his pocket and said, "Here try it." The guy, who sells phones, owns an iPhone. I said, "Aren't these really just a toy?" He showed me all the applications on his phone. It was like going back in time to my old PowerBook. It could do anything and it was way cool.

So I asked the BIG QUESTION...which phone is better? Jason said, "They both make calls and get email. The iPhone does much more and it is designed to be able to do more in the future. They are adding new applications almost daily that will run on this phone." He was right. Just as Apple invented the use of the mouse and forced the development of Windows. Apple has reinvented the hand held device. It isn't a phone. It is the magic wand of the future.

So long TREO and so long Sprint. I drank the Apple flavored kool aid again and I'm skipping down iPhone lane.

No comments: