Monday, December 7, 2009

FAMILY ISSUE

We went back to St Louis this past Thanksgiving to spend time with friends and family. Part of this time included Thanksgiving Dinner with Pam's parents and relatives. Jack and Pam said they had a good time. I did not.

I am writing about this so as to have a clear record, for Jack. I want this issue to be understood and in writing. Jack asked me about the situation and I brushed it off because he is too young to understand.

For fifteen years, Pam's family have been "unhappy" with her decision to love and marry me. Her brother and sister refused to attend our wedding. Clearly, they do not respect Pam's judgement. I know they don't like me, and it is very clear when we are together. Some of them try to fake it. Everyone, except Pam's brother, was polite. Regardless, the entire Thanksgiving Day was uncomfortable.

My position on all of this is simple. The issue is between Pam and her family. Pam made the decision to love me, move to California, to marry me, and to have Jack. If there is an issue, it is with Pam's decisions. Regarding me: They don't like me. I can accept who I am. Not everyone likes me. I'm not looking for friends. I do like and respect Jim Olroyd.

From the beginning, from the first time Pam introduce me to her family, it has been a strained relationship. They misjudged me and my motives. They believed that I had "brainwashed" Pam. Anyone who knows Pam knows this is impossible. In the first meetings, they were glib and rude. Her siblings tried to humiliate and belittle me. The high point was Doug's threat to "kick my ass" at the Yardhouse in Long Beach.

Doug misjudged me more than the others. I told him he made a mistake and that if he did so a second time, I would kill him. Who did Doug think he was dealing with? I am not one to be threatened and Doug isn't man enough to do it or back it up. My guess is that Doug was acting on direction from, or with the support of his family. Over the time since that event, he has continued to behave like a coward. He also has the continued support of his family.

I have apologized to Doug for my part in the disagreement at the Yardhouse. I offered to shake Doug's hand and put this disagreement behind us. He refused, and continues to harbor resentment. Pam asked me to try to improve my relationship with her family. I tired and it has not worked. I am finished with participation in these Family events.

In my view there is nothing for me to gain by participating. Pam made her decision to move away from her family's soup opera. Jack would be better off not being involved, and, we already know they don't like me.

1 comment:

Amy Carroll said...

Hey Mike... That sucks, and I'm sorry! I wish I hadn't had commitments with Todd's family on Thanksgiving, as I would have loved to represent another side of Pam's family! I for one was happily surprised upon meeting you this year at what a great guy you seem to be! I must admit that after the impression I'd gotten from the rest of Pam's family, and the stories I'd heard (aka The Yardhouse incident) that the real Mike that I met at Grandma Boone's birthday party was someone I was tickled to have in our family. Hope you had time to enjoy friends and family who were happy to see you while in Missouri.