Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Meredith wins the Oscar...as Drama Queen


So last month I wrote about Meredith's melt down. She got mad because I told her she was a liar. Everyone she knows thinks she is a liar. The most recent Gallop poll ranked her just behind Barrack Obama on lying. Regardless, my job is to be her father. For the last 10 years I have tried to get her to accept responsibility. She prefers to have fun and "no thanks" on responsibility. She has had her share of problems. Running into the police car was just one incident. Return with me now to those thrilling days of shop lifting, skipping on her apartment, speeding tickets, and my all time favorite...caught in a parked car with three under aged boys smoking pot.

The most recent was..... I was at the Dentist office getting my teeth cleaned. We got new dental insurance and it meant finding a new dentist who would accept the insurance. I was very picky. I want a dentist who spoke English. Pam found a guy near our home and I went to check it out. While I was there they asked if anyone else needed an appointment in our family. I called Colleen...but she doesn't "do" answering the phone. Meredith did answer. She has a rule only to answer every 29Th call I make to her and I hit it just right.

Meredith said she wanted an appointment and I asked when. She was coming back to SoCal in August and agreed to 11:00 AM on a Monday after she got back. Well, she never went. Turns out she stayed up drinking until early in the morning and overslept...hung over. The Dentist was pissed and since I made the appointment, he charged me $50.00.

Meredith thinks this is just fine. Here again Daddy comes along trying to help her and she is irresponsible...then it hurts me. Like her parking tickets in San Francisco. She doesn't pay them. I technically own her car because I was stupid enough to sign for it. So, the tickets are sent to me with past due amounts. Again, no problem Meredith...let Dad cover them.

So after Meredith's recent melt down, where she swore at me and blamed me for massive inflation in the third world, bird flu, and alien abduction. She asked me to "CO-Sign" on her student loan. I agreed. Since it was her loan, I wanted her to do the work and get the details. She went to the bank and looked on line. Time ran out and she had to get back to San Francisco. [There was a BIG Concert in Golden Gate Park she just could not miss.] We finished the loan up on the phone with her entering the information for me. She "CO-Signed" for me.

When I asked about the loan a week later. Meredith said everything was fine and the money would be coming. Then I got a Disclosure Notice in the mail. The loan was NOT Meredith's it was MINE. I apparently did not "CO-Sign" for the loan on line. I applied for a loan for myself. The only hang up.....the money was being sent to me.

When I asked Meredith about it. She said this was all my fault. She had to "do the loan this way" because I claim her on my taxes. If I didn't claim her, she could get a loan on her own. Boy, did I fuck up! I gave her money, a car, a mobile phone, furniture, and moved her to San Francisco. Then I really screwed her by claiming her on my own taxes as...a DEPENDENT. Clearly, I am the dumb shit.

My view of this is somewhat different. It looks to me like Meredith signed me up for a loan to get the money sent to her school but did not realize they would forward the money to me.

I tried to discuss this with Meredith's Mother, Julie the Queen of Darkness. It did not go well. In her view...I want to get this right. I am cheating my children out of a college education because I divorced her happy go lucky self, to marry Pam.

Julie called Meredith and they completely agree, I am evil and Pam is to blame. Meredith sent email and swore at me on the phone to make her point clear. I think I get it.

Questions remain. What about the loan money? Meredith won't sign a Promissory Note to repay the money. Julie says she would rather go hungry...which would help her....then let her daughter suffer. She says she will apply for a loan and give the money to Meredith. How does this teach responsibility?

No comments: