Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bond, James Bond


I grew up reading Ian Fleming. I read all his James Bond books before I was 16. At the time I lived in Germany. My father worked for the US Air Force Security Service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Air_Force_Security_Service They were the raw data collectors of random electronic messages. Dad never explained his job or what he and his staff did in those buildings surrounded by machine guns, guard dogs, and barbed wire. I knew Dad wasn't a spy. This was during the cold war, in the 1960s and the spy business was a big part of the US Military. Reading Ian Fleming and living with Dad in Germany, shaped me as a person.

In 1962 the first James Bond movie came out, Dr. NO. It put into pictures the books I had read and added to my development. Dad never went to see the movie. He laughed at spy and war movies, like he did at military parades. He always saw it like there were two kinds of soldiers, those who were in parades or movies, and those who were killers. He was a killer.

Regardless of my respect for my father, I loved the James Bond books and later the movies. I think I have seen every one at least three times. On November 14, 2008 the new Bond movie opens in America. I think Daniel Craig has done the best job of all the actors who have played the Bond role. He is confident and not so.....polished. Bond, in the books, was more like Dad then like Roger Moore.

Pam, get a sitter. We are going to the mooo-veys November 15.

No comments: