Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Los Doyers....Dad would be happy


The Dodgers are in the play offs. The sad part is they got there by beating the Cubs. I have been a Dodger fan since I was a kid. My father grew up listening to Baseball on the radio in St. Louis. The Manager for the Cardinals way back when my Dad was a boy was Branch Rickey. Rickey had been a poor baseball player but as Manager of the Cardinals he invented the current "Farm System" of minor league teams.


Rickey left St Louis in 1942 to go to New York with the Dodgers. It was here that Rickey went on to develop "Spring Training" and "Batting Helmets". On August 28, 1945, it was Rickey who signed Jackie Robinson to become the first Black Baseball player. Many credit Robinson with "breaking the color barrier" in baseball. My father gave that credit to Branch Rickey because he was the guy who made the decision and took the criticism from white players. My Dad and I listened to the Dodger games on the Radio when I was a kid in the 1950's. I remember when we heard the news that they were moving to Los Angeles in 1957.


Now, Jack and I watch the Dodgers. It's been over 50 years from radio to HDTV, from my Dad to Jack. Now the Dodgers are in Los Angeles...and so are we. They changed from Trolley Dodgers to "los Doyers" in LA Spanglish. But as I sit with Jack, and watch the game, I can remember my Dad explaining a double play to me. Big wheel keeps on turning.........I hope Dad and Branch Rickey are watching with us.

No comments: