Friday, October 24, 2008

In a FIX

I was driving to work on the "5". It is really Interstate Highway 5 but in Kalifornia we just say "the 5".

Traffic was stupid as usual. The left lane was full of women putting on makeup driving 60 mph in their Mercedes. The number 2 lane was full of pick up trucks with guys eating while they drive 55. Just another dumb shit day on the way to work. I was flying along in the right lane at 80...the slow lane where nobody drives. I came up behind a truck and prepared to change lanes when a flat piece of metal, about the size of a pizza box, flew up and hit the front of the car. BAM. The metal piece bounced up and hit the hood and then slammed into the windshield. It flipped over the roof and landed behind me on the road.

When I got to work I looked at the damage. Part of the grill was gone and there was a long scratch across the hood and a dent. I called my Insurance Agent and reported the incident. State Farm has been my Insurance company for years. They have great service and never complained about me having my car stolen or when I totaled the motorcycle. They suggested I take my car to FIX - Auto for an estimate.


I thought this was a joke. FIX - Auto? What a dumb name. I googled them and found they were a big company. http://www.fixauto.com/en/usa/index.html They have network dealers in the US, Canada, and Europe. I went to the Fix - Auto in Irvine.


Fix - Auto in Irvine is next to a cement company near the District. When I got there the "receptionist" said fill out the form. I did a half ass job of entering the basics but I had a bad feeling. A lady was waiting to pick up her car and the guy was saying how sorry he was that it was late being done....by a week. I waited. Kyle Wilson came out and introduced himself. We went to look at the car. Kyle asked how I was doing and I told him I wasn't sure. He asked why? I told him I wasn't sure about having my car worked on by FIX - Auto. He told me they were a big company and they had dealers in France. I said, "So, what?"

Kyle took his time and after 20 minutes he told me to leave the car and they would finish the estimate and email me a copy. I rode home with Pam and Jack. I did not feel good about leaving the car. Later I checked email for the estimate....NOTHING.

The next day I waited until about 10:30 to call. Kyle said he still was not finished with the estimate but would send it via email. I waited and kept checking email....Nothing. By this time my original doubt had turned into concern about these guys. I really could not see how they could paint anything with the cement dust in the air. Moreover, I had not seen any other BMWs or German cars in their shop or on the lot. By 2:00 PM I sent an email to the Manager of FIX -Auto. I needed an estimate or my car at 5:00 PM.

Again, nothing happened. At 4:00 I called the Manager. He had not read my email. Like most idiots in America, he only reads the jokes and stories about Britney Spears sent to him. I told him I needed my estimate. He said they were taking the car apart now. WHAT? Taking the car apart. Why? He said they had to check for hidden damage. I said, "BULLSHIT, that car better be ready at 5:00 when I get there."

The car was ready when I got there. It was covered with cement dust but other wise OK. My guess is they have too much business and they stall people to keep them from going to another shop. Regardless, they are idiots and they should not paint barns with all the cement dust in the air. My advise.....don't go to FIX, unless you want to be in a FIX.

No comments: