Monday, October 6, 2008

Omaha....somewhere in middle america


The Counting Crows make it sound lonely and empty:


Omaha

Somewhere in middle america

Get right to the heart of matters

Its the heart that matters more

I think you'd better turn your ticket in

And leave your money right at the door


I grew up in Omaha as a young Boy. I attend Blessed Sacrament School on 30th Street across from Miller Park. My Dad and I played golf at the Park. I almost drown in Miller park lake, ice fishing. Tim Martin pulled me out. I fell through the ice into the cold water. I think he saved my life.


It's been a long time since I was back. I drove through in 1972, past my old house at 6513 North 33rd Street. I still remember the address my mom made me memorize. We moved to Germany in December of 1960. I remember my last day, saying good bye to friends, boys I grew up with. I never saw them again. Our teacher, a Nun, took up a collection for a going away gift. Bobby Krocker told me about the collection and I said....get me a Catchers mitt. The Nun bought me a Prayer Book. She was right. I still have it 48 years later. I probably would have lost the catcher's mitt.


Next week I am going to Omaha to work. I rented a car and I am going to drive by the old house one more time. It's the heart that matters more.

No comments: